Dropping mp3 on 3.10 world - doesn't work like 3.9/3.8

Travis Kay tlk at nb.sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 8 23:47:41 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller wrote:
>> I previously wrote:
>>> Running on my Linux (gentoo) system, sq3.9-7067dev07.08.1 does not
>>> accept *mp3*
>>> drops to the World. The result is: nothing happens. How come?
>>> On the standard 3.9-7067 system, dropping an *MP3* file on the World
>>> results in
>>> a player to play the *mp3* file.
>>>
>>> brad
>>>
>>> BTW: not all *MP3* files are accepted on the World as a dropped
>>> file. Does
>>> anyone know why? I haven't dug at all into it, so I'm assuming it
>>> has to do
>>> with the limitations of the *mp3* decoder. Anyone enlighten me?
>>>

>>> Hi brad in squeak 7137 (basic not dev) I’ve noticed
>>> that dropping projects on to the window sometimes will
>>> load the project and sometimes not. It seems very
>>> related to where I drop things.
>>>
>>> So I don’t think the problem is specific to *MP3* files.
>>> It seems to me a mantis report is in order.
>>> Want to start one?
>>>
>>> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace
>>
>> Ok, On XP, I seem to be able to drop MP3's on the 3.8 and 3.9 World just
>> fine and a soundplayer appears and the file plays fine. But, not on 3.10
>> squeak-dev (3.10beta #7145) - the result is the file contents in a
>> system window; no soundplayer morph.
>> Is this a symptom that others see? If so, I'll write it up on mantis.
> Looks like no one has had time to confirm this.. or not many people
> with MP3s to drop ;-)
> From Edgar's msg re: MoviePlayerMorph being removed to reduce 3.10
> size, maybe this functionality has been removed as well. I looked for
> this functionality in 3.9 but can't really find it. If someone could
> just point me to some places to look, I'll do the looking.

PasteUpMorph>>dropFiles: anEvent  first looks for registered
ExternalDropHandlers to handle the file ( pr , image etc.. ). It then
searches for file reader services using FileList class>>itemsForFile:
fileName and creates and ExternalDropHandler for a chosen service.

File reader services implement fileReaderServicesForFile: fullName
suffix: suffix  on their class side returning an instance of
SimpleServiceEntry which MPEGMoviePlayerMorph does, opening a player on
the dropped mp3 / mpeg file.

Travis