[Squeak 0005641]: Cannot override default presentation of Methods in a MethodBrowser

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed Oct 10 20:05:09 UTC 2007

Some changes from Keith
- made stringVersion inst var lazy initialized
- provided a default value via #stringVersionDefault
- provided a #asStringOrText accessor to replace #stringVersion

The error from Keith was to let the #stringVersion accessor in place,
letting it answer nil, and letting #stringVersion senders in trouble...

Then, you have basically 2 solutions
1) revert to full initialization
2) remove the stringVersion accessor and make the ivar private

jorsaria proposed 1)
MethodReference-setStandardClassmethodSymbol.st
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6691

I proposed 2).
StringVersion-Patch-M6691.1.cs
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6691

----------------

If you choose 2), then some cosmetic changes might be good to do:
The #stringVersion: accessor should be rename to setStringVersion: and
classified in protocol 'setting', this would be more homogeneous with
the rest of this protocol and enforce that the ivar is kind of private.

For these reasons I would push
StringVersion-Patch-M6691.2.cs
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6691

------------------

RecentMessageSet-updateListsAndCodeIn.st
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5641

is a reversion to use #stringVersioninstead instead of #asStringOrText
It will not work if ivar is lazy initialized.
So it must go with 1)

------------------

RecentChanges.2.cs
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5641

seems a duplication of

RecentChanges.2.cs
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6402

What a mess!
Jerome said at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6402 that this change
is not viable as refering to classes not in base image

RecentChanges.3.cs
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6402

does use #asStringOrtext but does not rename #stringVersion: to
#setStringVersion:. It seems a good candidate too.
But it does some more work that i did not analyze.
Up to Keith to document his work.
Generally, most changes come from him, so you should ask to him.

Nicolas