Win32 VM 3.10.6 problem with special characters

Jens Moenig jens at moenig.org
Thu Oct 11 10:38:20 UTC 2007

dear squeakers,

I have run into two problems after switching from a 3.9.2 vm to the current
3.10.6 in a deployed application using the current stable 3.9 image. The
main reason for switching was the new splash feature, which does help a lot
on slower machines. However there seems to be an issue with special
characters (German Umlaute, sharp s's and paragraph characters).

The first problem is, files containing such characters (Umlaute) are shown
garbled in StandardFileMenu.

Interestingly these 'garbled' file(name)s load perfectly ok from
StandardFileMenu as well as using Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 3, or
FileStream requestDropStream: n. But it just doesn't look nice in a deployed
application, and I don't really want to restrict users' creativity in
composing inventive fileNames ;-).

The second problem is, these special characters simply get lost in the
clipboard.

This is somewhat worse, because my application builds on user defined
strings as Dictionary keys. Whenever someone  pastes such a string from
another place in or outside the image using the clipboard it first has to be
manually corrected, otherwise things don't work out.

As I'm mostly just 'lurking' in here I'm not sure if this problem has been
reported before or - indeed - if it's a problem for others as well or just a
side effect of the unicode effort aparently going on. For the moment, I have
switched back to the 'vintage' 3.9.2 vm (which works just fine). But I
wouldn't want to be 'left bedind', so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
-Jens