Refactoring browser

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:29:49 UTC 2007

How about making a rename method that works only in the current class
and one for the current hierarchy?  (I will admit being spoiled by
Eclipse's capability to do this in Java.)  I hate having to manually
rename a method and then delete the old definition after that.  More
annoying is when I have a class that has, for instance, #name and the
refactoring tells me that it's going to do this across all classes in
the image.

Creating accessors for iVars that have a corresponding method in the
hierarchy appends a numeric to the method name (eg. create accessor on
'name' => #name1 and #name:).  I would prefer to be able to disable
that behavior.  When I use this facility I know what I am doing and
don't want the extra help.

How about a refactoring that allows you to create a class side
initializer from iVars (perhaps giving you a list from which to choose
and order the iVars)?

I would also benefit from an extract local that would let you select
the context into which you would extract (eg. just at the inner block
level, one block up, to the method level, etc.).

Last, but not least, I have also been spoiled by Eclipse's QuickFix
capability, which is akin to refactorings usually.  Eg. I am writing a
class side method that calls an instance method with a passed in
parameter, but the instance method doesn't exist.  Eclipse would allow
you to save and then give you a QuickFix which would create the stub
of that method in the class by pressing CTRL+1 (or Apple+1) and select
from a list of possible quick fixes.

Sorry if I ranted... you asked for opinions. ;)

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20