Reminder: Bern Squeak/PyPy sprint October 22 - October 26 2007

A. Kuhn akuhn at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Oct 12 11:54:14 UTC 2007

Hello!

please find attached again the announcement for the Squeak/Pypy event in
Bern

If you are interested to participate, either subscribe on the pypy list as
described below or just doodle

    http://www.doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=iauddf6k7sbxcd3z

cheers,
Adrian Kuhn

--
Adrian Kuhn
Software Composition Group

Bern Squeak/PyPy sprint October 22 - October 26 2007

We are proud to announce the first Squeak-PyPy-collaboration-sprint.
The plan is to bring people from the Squeak/Smalltalk and the
PyPy/Python communities together to learn about each others projects and
to think about collaboration possibilies.  The sprint will be hosted by
the Software Composition Group of the University of Bern from the 22nd
to the 26th of October 2007.

Topics and goals
----------------

The general technical goal of the sprint is to explore implementing the
bytecode interpreter as well as the primitives of Squeak in RPython.
This should make it eventually possible to auto-generate a JIT for
Squeak with the help of PyPy technologies.

The other important goal of the sprint is to teach the
first-time-sprinters the sprint-driven-development methodology.

The first day of the sprint will be a tutorial day, were talks about
PyPy, Squeak and sprint-driven-development will be given. The further
days will be sprinting days.

Of course the most important goal of the sprint is to get to know each
other and have some fun :-).

Topics of the sprint:

- learning about:

   - PyPy
   - the internals of Squeaks VM
   - sprint-driven-development

- exploring ways to implement Squeaks bytecode-interpreter and the
   primitives in Python

- or (maybe alternatively) implement a Squeak-backend for PyPy

- think about how to load and store of images in PyPy

Location
--------

The sprint will take place in a seminar room at the University of Bern.
Further details of how to get there will be announced before the sprint.

Registration
and drop a note about your interests and post any questions.  More
organisational information will be send to that list.  We'll keep a list
of `people`_ which we'll update (which you can do so yourself if you
have codespeak commit rights).  If you have no clue where to stay in
Bern ask around on the list, maybe we can help you find something or
find some other solution.

.. _`pypy-sprint mailing list`:
.. _`people`:
http://codespeak.net/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/bern2007/people.html