Win32 VM 3.10.6 problem with special characters

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Oct 17 15:48:51 UTC 2007

  Bert,

> > To which the answers would be: UTF-8, UTF-8, UTF-8 and, err,
> > UTF-8 ;-) (Seriously, I fail to see the need for four different
> > primitives given that UTF-8 is so prevalent today and has easy
> > conversions on every known platform under the sun)
>
> I don't need more than one for OLPC. The keyboard thing is solved by
> the utf32 charcode field in keyboard events. Clipboard has a new
> plugin anyway. File path encoding is the only one remaining, because
> "preferred file contents" is of questionable utility.
>
> But, the Asian folks used to violently disagree, and adding multiple
> sys attribs is cheap. Yoshiki, can you explain again why we need
> everything separately?

  Well, I didn't know if the disagreement was "violent".

  For the newer VM, it is fine to just assume:

   (UTF-32, UTF-8, UTF-8)

so we even didn't need three attributes.  If we are to add a system
attribute, the older VMs returns nil for that and image figures out in
old fashion.

  We need the system encoding and preferred text encoding and the
latter is the job of LocalePlugin.  Apart from that, having another
system attribute that returns the VM_VERSION is good, too.

-- Yoshiki