Multy-core CPUs

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 04:28:23 UTC 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007 3:41 am, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > For instance, the Linux VM running latest etoy-dev consumes a
> > steady 7-12% of
> > cpu if I just drag a polygon object and make it do a forward/turn
> > loop about
> > once a second.
>
> This is probably much more the fault of Morphic and Etoys than the
> VM's. Would that we had time to start optimizing for OLPC ... but
> even then it's not certain how far you can get with the current
> Morphic design.
Being cpu-bound is not a sin :-) per se. Morphic is quite useful as is. I get
more work in Morphic than in some of the other graphical apps. Morphic 3
deserves a separate discussion thread.

My point was that a Squeak VM process with cpu-bound threads will max out a
core with just a few threads. On large multi-core processors, we could scale
better if VMs can spawn out into different communicating lightly-threaded
processes rather than a single heavily-threaded process.

Subbu