Squeak Compute Farm

Zulq Alam me at zulq.net
Mon Oct 22 11:47:29 UTC 2007

I've been reading some of the many posts on concurrency and multi-core
processors. As always, a very interesting discussion.

It got me thinking it would be cool if there was a generic Squeak
compute farm which you could utilize from any Squeak image. Just write
some code in a map/reduce fashion and send some jobs to the farm.

Perhaps running in spare cycles on the desktop and or dedicated servers.
Although I'm not sure how the latter could be funded.

We'd need to work out how to manage the code, job scheduling, security,
etc.  I doubt it would be easy but it may be very rewarding. Perhaps
someone has looked at something like this already?

It feels like there's an interesting idea in there somewhere. A language
extension that gives everyone access to a super computer.

I understand that if everyone is using the same super computer, it
ceases to be super but i doubt this would be the case.

Let me know what you think.

Zulq.