Scalability [was: Multy-core CPUs]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Oct 23 16:19:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:38:02 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 23/10/2007, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
[...]
>> But, the way I understand the present multi-core CPU thread, Squeak
>> people
>> aim to save the multi-core processing world by reinventing it :-D
>>
> Of course not.

:)

> I have read somewhere a description of system which
> uses such 'micro-kernel' architecture in mind. A system divided in
> parts which communicate by establishing a 'contracts' - some kind of
> agreement between system parts on protocols and  security.

Go ahead. Don't stop here. What's it about?

> A Multi-Core CPU's working in parallel by having own 'private' memory
> (cache) and shared memory. Why then VM can't do the same? All we need
> to do, is to put this in use.

I know you are familiar with the many aspects of the Squeak VM. Where
would you start with a parallelized VM, perhaps here

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_parallelization

which needs complex program analysis on the compiler side, or something
completely different?

/Klaus