Multy-core CPUs

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:49:12 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sebastian, you can envision that any unique object in VM is a unique
> process. No changes required to VM. Your concept having zero worth for
> me, because VM already supports that each objects have own
> encapsulated state, and you can change object's state only by  sending
> messages to it.
> So, we already might say, that all objects are living and can be
> represented as a processes which triggered by sending message(s) to
> them.

But not exactly.  The difference is the threads of execution.  Today
the thread of execution belongs to processes, not objects.  So if two
processes call a method on the same object at the same time... race
condition.  If the thread of execution belonged to the objects
themselves this couldn't happen, the different requests would have to
wait in line.