Object orientation - can you have too much of a good thing?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Oct 28 20:06:27 UTC 2007

On 28-Oct-07, at 12:52 PM, Rick Zaccone wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2007, at 2007-10-28, 1:39 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> And that apparent quoting of Alan is not one I am familiar with -
>> and I'm fairly sure I was there when he made the comment about C++
>> not being what he had in mind. I certainly can't find any net
>> source for this 'full' quote.
>
> The quote is from Alan's keynote address at OOPSLA '97 <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2950949730059754521
> >, The Computer Revolution Hasn't Happened Yet.  It occurs at about
> 10:30 into the video.

Ah, ok. I'm fairly sure that isn't the first time he pointed that out.
I would guess more like the very early 90's back when C++ was 'hot'
and I also don't think he said anything about Smalltalk on that
occasion.

I also claim that the conflating of the two phrases and quoting them
as if intended as praise for Ruby is disingenuous at least and plain
deceit at worst. But what can be expected from people that appear to
understand almost nothing about OOP.

tim
Logic:   The art of being wrong with confidence...