Concurrent Futures

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 21:15:33 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are really don't need to have more than a fixed number of threads
> in VM (one for each core, and maybe 1 more for GC).

I'm totally on board the idea of native threads being internal to the
VM, and client code not being aware.  But my plan is to provide a way
change how many threads that is, as 1 per CPU is not always optimal.

When Erlang first did this, their approach was making a schedular
1-to-1 with a native thread.  They seem to hit max performance at
about 4 native threads per CPU core (if you want the reference I will
try to dig it up, but I'm sure if your google-fu is strong, you should
find it fairly quick).