SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 05:01:44 UTC 2007

On 10/31/07, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> SqueakMap is a great Squeak legacy and
> allows stuff to be loaded into a clean image.  Universes, to me,
> sounds a bit misguided, and far from making rendering SqueakMap
> obsolete.

I'm confused here.  As far as I know:

SqueakMap is a tool that allows one to load a package into an image
Universes is a tool that allows one to load a package into an image,
but is more sophisticated (e.g. understands dependencies).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because by that definition SqueakMap
appears to be clearly obsolete from a technical point of view.

Note, I'm only speaking to your statement about Universes being
misguided and not rendering SqueakMap obsolete.  The nostalgia of SM
and the purpose it serves as a record of anything ever done in Squeak
are a separate concern.