Thoughts on a concurrent Squeak VM

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Oct 31 16:15:27 UTC 2007

Ralph Johnson wrote:
> That is a very interesting plan, Andreas.  However, I don't see
> garbage collection on the list.  Won't you have to make a concurrent
> garbage collecter?

I don't think so. First, you don't need a new garbage collector for the
direction that I would take. Since the threads don't operate on the same
object memory, no change to the collector is needed. And for shared
state concurrency, simple solutions (like a gc request flag per thread
which is checked on each send) can be used to ensure atomic operation of
the collector.

Cheers,
   - Andreas