Concurrent Futures

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 31 23:05:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 03:44:10PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> All socket/file IO primitives using blocking calls.
> To what i see, there is only one set of async primitives -
> AsyncFilePlugin. But i'm not sure if it used at first place (i.e.
> replaces a FilePlugin).
> I think Andreas could answer on this more precisely.

The SocketPlugin implements asynchronous I/O for all platforms, so
socket operations are nonblocking.

OSProcessPlugin also provides nonblocking I/O, but only on unix/mac
platforms at the moment. AioPlugin implements the aio interface to
enable notification of a Squeak semaphore on data availability.
These are used in OSProcess and CommandShell for nonblocking I/O
on files and pipes, especially for interprocess communication using
OS pipes.

Dave