Getting double semi as sequencer harvested.

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Mon Sep 3 17:33:10 UTC 2007

> > Are you saying you don't ever want to see the
> > Smalltalk language grow beyond its current state?
>
> Yes.
>
> Randal L. Schwartz

That begs the question of why, since not even it's creator thinks the
language is perfect.  On this very subject, Alan himself said...

>> It's not a question of functionality, but of simple readability and
writeability.
>> This idea has come up a number of times in the past, and it is a very
>> reasonable one

And concluded with...

> Since Squeak is a completely open Smalltalk, and intended to be
> extended in major as well as minor ways, there is no reason whatsoever
> to prevent these ideas and more to be added (and I wish that people
> would take it upon themselves to extend the language).
>
> Cheers, Alan

Smalltalk is a beautiful language, but it isn't perfect, and it should
certainly continue to evolve beyond its current state.  To want to freeze
the language at a particular point in time and call it complete doesn't seem
to me to serve the spirit of Smalltalk.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com