Squeak-dev and SUnit

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 14:01:42 UTC 2007

Bergel, Alexandre wrote:
> Dear Squeak-dev friends,
>
> The method buildSuiteFromSelectors seems to have disappeared from
> TestCase class.
> Is there a rational behind? Should I declare this as a bug?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
The version of SUnit now adopted in squeak-dev is the one named as
'SUNit-improved' in the package universes. It has many changes from the
original especially in the area of suite building.

One purpose of these changes is to enable a variety of suite building
strategies so that SUnit can be used alongside other test frameworks
which use different strategies, such as SSpec, whose tests are defined
as "those methods in method category 'spec'.

In the case of TestCase-buildSuiteFromSelectors there appeared to be a
duplication of code. The primary interface being #suite, which calls
#buildSuite. Please correct me if I am wrong but
#buildSuiteFromSelectors seemed to duplicate the same functionality. In
this version of SUnit-#suite is preserved for backward compatibility but
#buildSuiteFromSelectors was not.

'SUnit-improved''s TestCase-suite, calls TestCase-suite:
#allStandardTests , where #allStandardTests is defined as
#('include:test*' 'include at tests*'), which builds the suite from all
selectors prefixed 'test' AND all methods in method-categories prefixed
'tests'.

For a fuller explanation of suite building please see the class comments.

best regards

Keith