Comments

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Wed Sep 12 16:45:43 UTC 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 6:49 AM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it would be nice to have an easier way to modify comments.
> One or
> more delta streams for comments only would be neat.  (Change a
> class comment
> and the system should ask you if this comment should be committed
> to a delta
> stream(s), then the harvesting team could review the comments for
> inclusion
> or rejection, or when committing code to Monticello the system
> could ask and
> harvest comments into the delta stream for later review).  The
> delta stream
> would be good for this because it would help to put the change into
> context
> and eliminate comments that apply to older squeak images.
>
> There is no real substitute for the original author comments, but
> once you
> spent the time to figure something out, being able to add comments
> easily
> may help improve the situation.

I feel the system would be dramatically improved by have the
capability of Package/Category level comments. Currently, even when a
set of classes do have comments, you still have to wade through the
classes in order to find out what a good starting place is to use the
provided functionality. For small class hierarchies this isn't too
bad, but some are quite large :)

This creates a great place to document the intention of a system and
provide pointers to other pieces of documentation on classes and
methods.

This would also prevent having to create specific "documentation"
classes that do nothing but hold text. For a great example of this,
see Steven Swerlings SVI package - it contains copious amounts of
documentation, and uses a class (or classes, I don't remember at the
moment) to provide access to the docs. But, IMO, it would be better
as a category level construct.

Would people be interested in such a feature, as long as it could
work with Monticello and OmniBrowser, for example?

- Brian