Assembly Language

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Sep 15 08:58:44 UTC 2007

Hello Chris,

CC> So, I'm interested in 6502 assembler, and I just bought Randal Hyde's "The
CC> Art of Assembly Language" for the 80x86 set. The point of this is that I've

6502 had a nice and simple assembler so I think this is a good
processor to start. You can also try 6800 Family.

Imho stay a way from the 8080 Family if you can. They are much like
"Is it possible to ...?" "Yes in principle but..." things. Lots and
lots of special conditions to remember. Imho this unnecessarily hides
the insights to be gained from programming hardware in assembly.

If you plan to program on an 8 Bit system Assembly and Forth go
together well. If you plan to program on a PC and run the code on the
8 bitter follow John's suggestion of Atmel microcontrollers or
similar. They have a "reasonable" assembly language (think RISC vs.
CISC) and a cross compiler running under Eclipse or some IDE.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net