Assembly Language

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Sat Sep 15 21:26:47 UTC 2007

Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:28:09 -0700, Edgar J. De Cleene
> <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>
>> I miss the first mail but see the replies.
>> I was a 6502 and Apple II fan.
>
> Wow, so many 6502 fans. 6502 was my first assembler. Basic + ASM where
> needed was how I did most of my projects.
>
> Anyone remember "shape tables"?

Hi,

Ah yes, shape tables!

Gemstone Warrior didn't use shape tables as you know them. It did have
tables for it's graphics though. I was inspired by Smalltalk, which I
had read about but hadn't gotten my hands onto quite yet, when I wrote
Gemstone Warrior. All the objects the user could manipulate were
inspired by Smalltalk's notion of objects at the UI level.

While there was a Smalltalk for the Apple ][, Rosettastone Smalltalk,
Gemstone Warrior was only partially objects. I was working on a
object-message system for a subsequent game on the Apple ][ but by that
time the IBM PC dominated the market and the Mac was coming into it's
own with success. Sigh...

Each of the Tile 64 Processors is thousands of more times more powerful
than that old 6502 based Apple ][ system. I can imagine what Gemstone
Warrior would be like on it! Fully object oriented, fully message
oriented, fully 4-D (3D+Time)!

If you really want a chip to play with as a hobby with potential for
future success play with the Tile 64 chip!

Smalltalk on the Tile 64 chip will be hot! When will it happen?

Cheers,

Peter