PRIVATE responding to ad hominem person attacks

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Mon Sep 17 00:25:06 UTC 2007

*PRIVATE*

Nick Alexander wrote:

> On 16-Sep-07, at 3:57 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:
>
>> I vote that one more post from either instigator on this thread
>> results both parties being unsubscribed.
>
> +1.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

That would be unfair censorship sir.

My responses in defense are not flamage sir. If you consider it
"flamage" then, I submit, that you are in a very direct way supporting
online bullying by people who make ad hominem personal attacks and
leaving no recourse for those who were attacked to defend themselves.
Group awareness of actual personal attacks helps to stop said attacks
from occurring in the first place.

I have attempted to end the discussion, however, uninvolved people keep
making false and misleading statements and even potentially liableous
statements. These outrageous statements do need to be addressed for the
record. I have asked them to cease the comments (or to email me
directly) but they keep making them publicly.

Now that the direct attacks have stopped (hopefully it stays that way),
the sarcasm has started. Oh well, I guess people support the bully after
all. It's a strange society we live in where the victim in these matters
is punished or treated indifferently by people.

It's also interesting to note that none of these others making
statements was involved in the conversation between myself and the
person who made an ad hominem attack against me sir, so I don't know
what they have to do with it. Really it's not their business especially
since the person who made the attack moved on without further personal
attacks.

I know that not all agree with defending themselves against those
bullies who attack others with personal attacks.

I hope that you never have to deal with people who personally attack you
online.

I too can hope to dream that people don't initiate personal attacks in
the first place. Especially completely unprovoked and unfounded attacks
as in this case. However, I would fully come to your support and assist
you in every way I could to defend yourself from such personal attacks.

By the way, I did change the subject heading so people could avoid the
posting if they so wished. A little step towards keeping the noise level
down.

I personally apologize to you for the distraction it may have caused.

All the best and I look foward to your contributions to Squeak and
Smalltalk.

All the best,

Peter