Quick comparison of two Namespaces proposals

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:18:14 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:

> the problem with per namespace is that you can get unanticipated
> conflicts.
> here is a scenario that klaus from Smalltalk/x explained to me once
>
> you have two namespace
>
> N1
>

> N2 import N1
>         method foo
>                 ^ B
>
> everthing compiles
>
> now you add a new class B in N1
> and the system does not bark....
>
> a while later you recompile the method foo and now you may be in
> trouble.

This is a problem that I'm currently working with. I think I'll try
completely disallowing ambiguous names. If a name in a method can resolve to
anything other than exactly one binding, then the compiler complains. The
user will have to resolve this either by reorganising the local import list,
or making the name less ambiguous using either dotted notation or Krampe
notation ('::').

Michael.