My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Sep 20 06:57:19 UTC 2007

Hi all!

>> E.g., if for some reason I need to load both Seaside 2.6 and 2.8 in a
>> single image, I'm still stuck because they will both use Seaside:: or
>> WA:: as a prefix. I would need to change the prefix on the fly while
>> filing the code in (or loading it from MC) and, symmetrically, to
>> rename the client classes to use one prefix or the other.
>
> Recall also that method extensions are part of packages too and
> currently suffer from potential name-collisions just like classes.
> Unfortunately this is a much harder problem to solve, and reason why I
> would never try to load two versions of the same framework into the
> same image; i.e., because different implementations of the same method
> extension may collide.

Indeed! Hehe, so yes, if the package in question has loose methods and any
of those differ between the two versions - then you are in trouble. Unless
we also start introducing "selector namespaces" (or whatever that thing
was called - the one that picks different implementations based on sender
- I think Stephen Pair toyed with that a while ago) - BUT... I just see
100% confusion rearing its ugly head.

regards, Göran