Squeak UI hangs, Seaside still works, what can I do? 3.10 VM

Matthias Berth matthias.berth at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:14:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have done some innocent looking Do-it in Squeak, then the UI became
unresponsive. I have close to 0% CPU. When I move another window over
the fullscreen squeak window I can see some CPU load. Alt-. does not
work.

My seaside session still works fine. So I switched on the halos, and
did some print-its in the web interface  like Smalltalk
garbageCollect. Then I was able to open a browser using

  Integer browse.

It seemed to take a long time before the window opened. Then I tried

 SmalltalkImage current saveAsNewVersion

and that did not finish for the last 20 minutes. It created the new
version of the changes file, but the image file is not there.

My configuration:

- Squeak VM 3.10
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-bin.zip
- image based on the squeak-dev image sq3.9-7067dev07.09.1.image
- running seaside, Pier
- freetype plugin
- windows XP

I am using the most recent 3.10 VM, so I could use Freetype from the
package universe (as discussed a few days ago here).

How can I try to get a responsive UI again?

Cheers

Matthias