Squeak Roadmap ...

GeertC geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 22:02:01 UTC 2007

Chris Cunningham wrote:

> As far as I've been able to tell, the roadmap looks like:
> *  The next step in the roadmap is based on someone coming up with what
> they want to do next, proposing it, and getting it accepted by the board.
> (Ideally more than 1 group would come up with an idea they would be
> willing to undertake, and the board could chose between them).  They then
> start the next release.

How or where does one start the discussion for a roadmap towards lets say
Squeak 4 - the stripped down, lean and mean version of Squeak 3 :)

Chris Cunningham wrote:

> The Board (or at least members of the board) have stated that they weren't
> elected to decide where Squeak was going technically, but rather to handle
> other issues such as the legal formation of the  community and other
> non-technical issues.  This doesn't have to be this way - and we can
> choose
> to make that change at the next election if we want too - and demand it
> during the election.  Or, someone could propose another structure for
> technical direction - maybe have the board appoint a 'temporary technical
> dictator' that holds the title until that person is removed from office by
> that (or a later) board.
>
> If you like that roadmap that you proposed and you can find some
> like-minded individuals that would like to work on that for the next
> release AND you have the time and dedication to follow through on it, then
> a great next step would be to start aggitating for the next release cycle
> to be those goals.
> Come up with a proposal (I think that mainly means specific goals, rough
> dates, and a team roster, maybe other stuff - I haven't actually read any
> of the previous ones) and forward it to the board and/or list for
> discussion.  If it is accepted, negotiate with the current release team
> about their completion date and when you are going to start.

What is the proposal form and/or protocol for the "board"? I don't consider
myself skilled enough do make changes to the Squeak core image, but I do
have a view and ideas to make Squeak's more user friendly and accessible -
if that's what the Squeak community wants.