Searching the image for text

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Sat Sep 22 13:52:31 UTC 2007

Todd Blanchard wrote:
> Also buried - in workspace, type text you want to find and select it.
> Cmd click to get menu with 'do it' and friends.
> Choose 'more...'
> third or fourth section down is list of search options
> Selectors with it
> Strings with it
> Source with it
> Class names with it
> etc.....

Hello,

I just went to try this and in the latest squeak-dev image when I see
the above menu option they say:

Method strings with it
Method source with it

I knew I had multiple ways of searching source code, methods, classes,
etc. But there is also much in an image which isn't in source code.

Instance variable values are not source code but can be in an image.

What if I wanted to find an instance which had a variable which
contained a certain literal string? Can I do that?

While I am at it.

Can you find or browse the source code for things not created in a browser?

eg: Say someone more experienced than I wrote a small Class in a
Workspace. Possibly closed the workspace, possibly after creating an
instance of said Class. Would it show up in a browser? If not how would
you access such again?

Or access anything created in a Workspace and the particular text was
deleted or the workspace closed?

Thanks for any wisdom.

I'm sure I'm not the only one lacking understanding in these areas.

I don't know if any of this is covered in the SBE I am about to receive
or not. Or if stuff like this covered in other Smalltalk texts.

Again, thanks.

Jimmie