[ANN] Magma 1.0r40

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 22:57:06 UTC 2007

I am pleased to announce release 40 of the Magma object database for
Squeak, offering a significant boost in robustness from the previous
version:

	- No longer constrained by Squeaks 2GB file-addressability, Magma can
now support unlimited file sizes (configured out of the box for up to
281 Terabyte sized files).
	- Full backups are now truly "live", with no pause in service.
	- There is now support for a "warm backup," for rapid failover capability..
	- ..and server load distribution for clients that can tolerate a
slightly-behind, read-only repository (i.e., for reporting, archive
retrieval, etc.).
	- The MagmaCollectionIndex hierarchy is no longer required on the server.
	- The server correctly ignores garbage bytes sent by hackers to its
listening port.
	- Other enhancements and some important bug fixes.

Nearly every feature and fix has originated at the request of members
of the Squeak community.  This is your database.  I plan to continue
supporting, improving, and ensuring you have a good experience using
Magma.  Please tell me what you need on the Magma mailing list.

This one single code-base has been installed and tested successfully
in the 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, Tweak, Croquet 1.0SDK and sq3.9-7067dev07.07.1
images.  Other images may work, I just haven't tested them, you can
use the "Magma tester" to find out.  In images without
MethodProperties (3.7 and 3.8), Monticello will provide a friendly
pink warning that a few extension methods will not load.  This is ok,
just press Proceed.  It's better than maintaining different code bases
for each version of Squeak.

Since its earliest days, Magma has been a "one-click" install and this
version is no different.  There are three configurations available on
SqueakMap and SqueakSource; "client", "server" and "tester".  The
former simply exclude certain packages that are not needed for that
function.

 - Chris