Changes file limit (was: Re: [ANN] Magma 1.0r40)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 23 05:18:24 UTC 2007

On 22-Sep-07, at 4:19 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> I think the changes file is limited by a different constraint internal
> to the image.
Yup; the file offset is encrypted in the tail bytes of the
compiledmethod. I have made efforts to produce a clean CM design (see
assorted mail on this list many times over) but I was defeated in my
last attempt by a combination of the lack of time and traits not
being properly supported in the image. Oh and about a hundred badly
written and totally twisted (ab)uses of compiled methods.

It *could* be cleaned up. Of course it could. But it's more work than
I have time for in any easily foreseeable scenario and to get maximum
benefit we would have to re-do 3.9 (and 3.10) to skip the compression
of the sources that would no longer be needed in order to regain the
method history.

tim
Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.