[ANN] Magma 1.0r40

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Sep 24 09:13:10 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab schrieb:
> What "2GB file-addressability" limit are you referring to? There is no
> such thing. Files have been 64 bit for a couple of years now so unless
> you run some really, really old VMs that limit doesn't exists.
Actually, the current 3.9 linux VM in
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/unix-linux/ does not handle files > 2GB.
Their stat info (file size, date etc) is not retrieved correctly, and so
they are shown with wrong data in the file list and can't be opened.
I have tried to build a VM which fixes this, but AFAIR the structure of
the linux headers for stat() et al is pretty tricky, and I did not
succeed. Since I could handle the files in question with VisualWorks, I
did not invest much time into the problem, but it should eventually be
fixed.

So, at least for current linux VMs, 2GB *is* the limit.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin