[squeak-dev] jitter (was: The Old Man)

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Tue Apr 1 23:00:22 UTC 2008

> > downside is that it would inherently be much more complex - the
> > interpreter strikes a nice balance here.
>
> The first jitter had the advantage of being cross-platform,
> but as I had
> predicted it only improved performance by around 50% which is
> less than
> what we got by making the interpreter better. The second jitter (known
> as Jitter3) was actually finished as far as I can tell. There
> was still
> some stuff to be done, but it was no worse in that regard than Unicode
> or Traits support in current Squeak. There simply was not enough
> interest for it to be adopted.
>
> And since it was finished, you can download it (get Squeak
> 2.3) and run
> some benchmarks (in Linux machines, at least). Here are the numbers on
> this machine (3GHz Pentium 4):
>
> 2.3 image and normal 2.3 VM - 62,500,000 bytecodes/sec; 4,591,325
> sends/sec
> 2.3 image and Jitter3 VM - 100,000,000 bytecodes/sec; 10,494,459
> sends/sec
> 3.9 image and 3.7 VM - 160,602,258 bytecodes/sec; 7,292,693 sends/sec
>
> The Jitter3 numbers varied wildly, but even the more stable
> numbers for
> the normal 2.3 VM are very suspect. The problem is that the old image
> didn't expect such a fast machine and doesn't seem to loop
> enough times.
> But the point is that the code is out there and we can
> actually run it.
>
> -- Jecel

Hi Jecel,

	 thanks for informing about the state of jitter. Those 3 million
sends/sec more represents a nice pie of 30% better sends/sec. That jitter can
make team work with current interpreter? An updated and ported jitter, for lets
say 3dot10, you will say it sum performance near that 30% in sends?

	cheers,

Sebastian Sastre