[squeak-dev] Re: Monticello 1.5

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 07:06:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> No kidding. I was particularly frustrated by Monticello 1.5. I tried
>> reverting to an earlier release that's been a workhorse for me, but it
>> seems to have some trait-related problems... gave up for now.
>
> I was wondering about the purpose of MC 1.5. I *thought* its whole reason
> for existence was to support atomic loading. Now that I find out that
> that's not true it makes me wonder what it has over the "regular" MC?

MC1.5 was made to solve the problem: Croquet, Impara, and Squeak
3.10 had different, incompatible MC versions. MC1.5 incorporates
  all the bug fixes from each fork, and then fixes several bugs
  relating to dependencies between packages:

- overridden methods are properly restored when the overriding
  package is removed
- Packages can be loaded out-of-order; if there are extensions
  in package A for a class defined in package B, they will be in
  the right place no matter whether A or B is loaded first
- Postscripts and preambles work

and various similar bug fixes. The recently introduced bug that
class initialization methods run in a different version than
before is being fixed, or has been; I don't know.