[squeak-dev] Re: What Constitutes a Complete and Final Release?

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Sat Apr 5 06:45:33 UTC 2008

>>On 4-Apr-08, at 8:49 PM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>>
>>>It seems to me that the board has a problem here, with both 3.9 and 3.10 :(
>
>tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>>Well, no. It's not the board that has any sort of problem;

Andreas replied...

>Well, yes. It is the board's problem if it assumes the authority to decide on the release team (which it has). Half-finished results of a release team *are* the board's problem. It is not the boards task to fix the ftp directory on the server; it's the boards task to fix the process that led to selecting a team that doesn't get that job done. If the board isn't capable of doing that, then it has a *big* problem in my understanding.

I have to agree with Andreas here.  Any board worth its salt should consider itself to have a pretty wide scope, and it should feel pain whenever something is not working right.  It may not be able to fix the problem directly, but it ought to be trying to understand it, and working with doers to fix it, to work around it, or to chart another better path.

I'd like to have a pithy solution here, but I need to catch up on some of the context, and I happen to be in the middle of a work-for-pay crunch.  But maybe if we all take more of an "I am 100% responsible" approach to our problems we'll start to get some more clarity about what is needed.

	- Dan