[squeak-dev] Re: FFI woes

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 8 05:20:34 UTC 2008

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Because MC1.5'a non atomic loading scheme, begins by taking the old
> class definition, and the new class definition, and compiling the union
> of the two definitions, in the hope that this will help the majority of
> methods to compile successfully. Once all of the methods have compiled,
> the final new class definition is compiled.

So it first compiles a union of the class defs, all the methods, then
recompiles the class defs and then calls initialize? Is that about it?
That makes it really difficult to work around the problem. Maybe delay
the double recompilation until such a time that we have atomic loading?
(this would fix the problem too since the #doneCompiling: method
wouldn't be active until the final class definition is there).

Cheers,
   - Andreas