[squeak-dev] ... giving up!

Simon Guest simon.guest at tesujimath.org
Tue Apr 8 09:29:22 UTC 2008

> At Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:18:18 +0545,
> Ties Stuij wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Simon Guest <simon.guest at tesujimath.org> wrote:
> > >  So, how do I load Monticello into etoys-dev-3.0?  Any help
> > >  appreciated!
> >
> > This will work (on a clean 3.0 image anyway). It's a bit hackish, but hey:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys_Tips_and_Tricks#Installing_Monticello_on_your_Etoys_image

Sigh, just hit the next problem.

The wiki says "upgrade Monticello if you like".

Having tried to use it as it is, I keep getting "key not found" errors
when loading an .mcz file.  So I thought to upgrade it.  But I can't,
as I get more key not found errors.

I don't think this stuff is usable by those at my level just yet, so
I'm having to give up.

My observation is that Etoys-3.0 is the place I want to be.  But it's
simply too hard to get this working with SqueakMap and Monticello.  I
need those to load OSProcess, so I can get my LatexMorph working.  But
it's all too hard, and there are too many pitfalls I don't know how to
negotiate.  I could go back to squeak-3.10 where this stuff works, but
then I lose the really neat OLPC Etoys stuff.  Sigh.

cheers,
Simon