[squeak-dev] What turns off newcomers

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 02:24:05 UTC 2008

2008/4/9 tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

>  On 8-Apr-08, at 3:09 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

> > On 07.04.2008, at 17:02, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > > I think there is a bit of a logical problem here ins that if the system
> *didn't* have 'all that junk' the immediate result would be complaints that
> 'it doesn't have all that useful stuff like other systems'.
> > >

> > IMHO in other systems the 'junk' is simply not that much in-your-face as
> in the SystemBrowser. It's hidden in library code that you never look at
> except for its documented API.
> >

>  Interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps it might be sensible to have a
> browser for typical use that shows much less detail of the 'kernel' classes
> so as to cause less fear and concern for less experienced developers. We did
> something along those lines for LearningWorks with reasonable success.
>
>  We'd need to actually *have* a 'documented API' of course....

This, i think, could be achieved by introducing a some kind of
view-sets, where developer can choose
sets of classes/packages visible by browser.
Sometimes(All the time) its more convenient to work only with
particular set of classes, so all commands like
senders/implementors/references etc will use only given set for
searching.
Btw, this was discussed previously.

--
Best regards,