[squeak-dev] Break points (was: What turns off newcomers)

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Thu Apr 10 08:02:09 UTC 2008

On 09.04.2008 22:19, kengbrown wrote:
> --- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, Bert Freudenberg <bert at ...> wrote:

>>> Yes, that is a point that annoys me, too.
>>> Even Dolphin Smalltalk has this drawback, but there is a
>>> sophisticated solution in Tools+ (by Solutions Software) called
>>> Method Spies.
>>>
>> Actually, Squeak has break points. Click on a method in the system
>> browser, and choose "toggle break on entry".
>>
>> Problem is the highlighting in the method list has been broken for
>> some while, methods with break points used to be marked.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Well, 'toggle breakpoint on entry' also seems to be missing from the default System
> Browser in latest 3.10 dev image too. And there isn't any World  menu selection to open
> the regular System Browser that has it. You can overcome that by doing 'Browser open' in
> a Workspace to get the 'toggle breakpoint on entry' at which point you have two different
> browsers with the same title, with different functionality.
>
> Wonder what the rationale is for the inconsistency in Browser types vs naming?
>
> In any case, it would be nice to be able to set a breakpoint on a method whilst in the
> Debugger. Bet you could whip that up in no time Bert! :)
>
> Ken G. Brown

I'm running Squeak3.10.gamma.7159.
I had no idea that Squeak has a breakpoint feature.
The feature doesn't seem to work:
    I get the good olde Browser from the Tools flap
    I get the more modern OBBrowser from the world menu open... ,
selecting 'class browser'
    Both have the 'toggle break on entry' command in the operations list
menu.
    Nothing happens when I select this command in either browser ???
Does it work at all???
Diving into the code, I find that the entry in the operations list
should have turned into italics, but it doesn't
I'm not a newcomer, but was turned off from even trying this feature.

(BTW: The first I did when I started using Traits in earnest was to
change the OBBrowser window title to 'OBBrowser ...' so that I could see
the difference.)

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway