[squeak-dev] Re: [Etoys] etoys performance problems

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Apr 10 21:01:06 UTC 2008

  Hi, Ties,

> 1) fileIn fix
> In order to load a project bundle with an non-zipped .pr file in it,
> you've got to change the type of stream to create in
> projectStreamFromArchive from RWBinaryOrTextStream to
> MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream, since that's the class the project

  Hmm.  What was the performance impact by this?

> 2) asUnzippedStream
> changes uptoEndWithProgressBar to uptoEnd in the method with the same
> name as the changeset to get a 20 percent increase in project loading.
>
> These patches are part of my 'one patch per day' project, that will
> run from now till into the not at all to distant future.

  One time, we thought that we would rather give a feedback while
something is going on...  25 seconds with some visible progress going
on vs. 20 seconds with frozen screen and it is still debatable whether
which would be better.

  However, is it true that this progress may not be relevant much as
other part of project loading will spend more time?

-- Yoshiki