[squeak-dev] Re: [Etoys] etoys performance problems

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 07:35:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
>   One time, we thought that we would rather give a feedback while
>  something is going on...  25 seconds with some visible progress going
>  on vs. 20 seconds with frozen screen and it is still debatable whether
>  which would be better.

You mean that no info whatsoever is given when unzipping? I didn't pay
much attention to the project progress bar, but I did notice that with
big projects it takes a while to show so I presumed it was unzipping.
I thought we could just as well start showing the progress bar before
we start zipping. An empty progress bar is information enough I would
think, and the rest of the filling of the progress bar is hardwired,
after certain operations, so the bar is already incrementing in steps
(five or something I thought).

>   However, is it true that this progress may not be relevant much as
>  other part of project loading will spend more time?

You definitely notice it on the XO with 1mb+ files.

/Ties