[squeak-dev] Reflection about using Squeak/Smalltalk to write educative application

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:51:42 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 Apr 2008 2:03:49 am Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> I am writing a small series of article to advocate it.
>
> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/04/17/Why-you-could-consi
>der-Smalltalk/Squeak-as-your-preferred-development-plateform-for-you-next-ed
>ucative-software1
Hi Hilaire,

It is very nice of you to write such articles. Many GUIs use textual mode for
programming. Morphic world goes beyond many GUI programming models. In
Morphic, even abstract entities (like rectangles, ellipses, ...) come alive
and can be manipulated directly through buttons (halo buttons and buttons
under the red halo button). Morphic is live, concrete, direct and consistent.

These principles are explained very well in John Maloney's article at:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

in the section Design Principles behind Morphic. The article also explains the
weak areas of Morphic - co-ordinate system and transformations. I believe
these areas are still open for improvement.

Regards .. Subbu