[squeak-dev] Mac OSX ID

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Apr 23 17:35:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 15:00 +0200, Javier Reyes wrote:
> Hi Edgar,
>
> It's for a licensing server. I think I've found a way to do it using
> the ethernet physical ID trough:
>
> Applescript doIt: 'do shell script "ifconfig en0"'.
>
> And then filtering the physical address.

This won't work. Usually the MAC address shown is only a copy
of the number stored on the device. You can alter this address
easily. Under linux this would be

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

If you're after licenses you may do some poor microsoft style
checking. I quick search on google showed the pendant for lspci
on linux is called pciconf on bsd-like systems. There you get
the real device ids of all devices attached.

Norbert