[squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Fri Apr 25 14:20:03 UTC 2008

Edgar

We are not saying that nebraska is crap. It can be fun.
Now may be your students find it fun, however when I show squeak to
students I would like to be proud of it
and when they find Morph (with more than 1000 methods) or see that
compiler is dependent of the UI
then if they are smart they will think that I'm stupid, that Smalltalk
is shit....So I never lie to students and tell them
Smalltalk is a cool idea but Squeak needs some works to really shine
and that we are working on it. Smart guys can then
choose and do not consider Smalltalk = Squeak = Shit.
Now in Sapphire we simply do not ***accept*** anymore to lose our time
maintaining experiences from the past. I hate to see
halospec defined in Preferences, to see all the dependencies
introduced by etoy. Etoy is a cool experience and a successful one
(I translated in french the etoy book so I do not have to convince
anybody that I supported it)
but it does not mean that we have to live under its tyranny. We
maintained 3.9 paying attention to break as less as possible.
We removed dilaectStream and other tiles based experiences that
polluted all the AST. Experimenting is cool but when an experience
is done either it should be cleaned up and lead to production code or
we should drop it.
Now we are free (open-source :)). You do not have to use what we will
produce - just read our books :)
But we will not lie to people, with what we are doing: no etoy, no
nebraska, no experiences will be maintained.
It does not mean that people will not be able to work to load back
etoy into it but this is not our concerns.
The only constraint we fix to ourselves is that Seaside runs on it and
make sure that people will be able to develop and invent their
future with a clean and lean Smalltalk.

We always have in mind the quote of dan stating that a single man
should be able to understand Smalltalk, with a clean system
with beautiful interfaces this should be possible.

Stef