[squeak-dev] Install on Debian / Ubuntu binary-amd64

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Sat Apr 26 08:02:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:53 +1000, Edward Stow wrote:
> > I may not have explain it well: the package in Debian is a pure 64 bits
> > package.
> >
> > I can not understand the reasons for your answer or the reason of this
> > thread: in an Debian lenny/sid amd64 machine: "apt-get install squeak-vm"
> > just works.
>
> Yes but adding lenny to /etc/apt/sources.list as well as etch is a
> risky proposition for the health of my etch system.

No, that is ok. Do

echo 'APT::Default-Release "etch"' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

than it only installs packages from etch. If you do

apt-get -t lenny install ...

then it pulls the package and all of the dependencies
from lenny channel. This way you leverage between having
a stable system and having a system which fulfills actual
needs. Do a search about package pinning as well if you
are interested.

Norbert