[squeak-dev] Encodings/allowed characters in methods/categories/protocols

Johan Björk jbjoerk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:52:05 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this list, I apologize if my question is too
basic for this list.

I've been working on a remote-filesystem to display the
sourcecode/object hierarchy of the squeak smalltalk image in a
"normal" unix filesystem. (Using FUSE)

I initially followed this resource
http://www.mucow.com/squeak-qref.html , under Symbols, but ended up
having to add more checking to my regexps. (It states that if it's a
special characters, it is either 1 or 2 of them, however, in Integer,
there is a method called '\\\'

What is valid for protocols/categories?

Doing some testing on the FS, we also encountered method sourcecode
with strange encodings (ie, WideStrings used to store the sourcecode
(JapaneseEnvironment / flapTabTextFor:in: for example), and also some
method names that has special characters, ie, in the squeak-web image,
there is a method called "göran"
(Installer-Core/Installer/instanciation-abbreviated/göran )

Anyone know of any resource that outlines what encoding is used and
what characters are allowed for Symbols? (I guess that's what it
really boils down to?)

Thanks in advance
-Johan