[squeak-dev] Re: Install on Debian / Ubuntu binary-amd64

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Sat Apr 26 10:22:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 12:09 +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:
> Norbert Hartl napísal:
> >> The ftp.squeak.org/debian repository i386 architecture [1] also
> >> contained packages :
> >> squeak
> >> squeak-vm
> >> squeak-image3.9
> >> squeak-image3.9univ
> >> squeak-sources3.9
> >>
> > Ah, ok, the first is a virtual package and all after the vm are
> > not architecture dependent. So it has be ok.
> >
> > Norbert
> >

> Hi, I know that amd64 binary packages are missing from that repostory. I do not have root access to
> a amd64 machine where I could myself try to build those packages.
> (when I was buying new machine, I have chosen 32-bit machine rather than 64-bits to avoid problems)
>
> Here is a complete procedure how to build those binaries from source packages:
> To build squeak binary packages, please try the following procedure:
>
> - add these lines:
>
> 	deb     http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main
> 	deb-src http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main
>
>   to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>   (you, alas, need root-account but that is needed anyway for
>    installing build dependencies so there is no way around it)
>
> - perform
>
> 	apt-get update
>
> - go to some convenient working directory and perform
>
> 	apt-get source squeak
>
>   This will fetch source package.
>
> - install packages that must be installed before you can build squeak virtual machine:
>
> 	# (specific for Debian Etch)
> 	apt-get install debhelper xlibs-static-dev g++ libxpm-dev \
>                         libtool docbook-to-man libxt-dev fakeroot
>
> - build squeak packages
>
> 	cd squeak-3.9.8
> 	dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> 	cd ..
>
> - You should see newly created *.deb files
>
> 	squeak*.deb
> 	squeak-vm*.deb
> 	squeak-plugin*.deb
>
> - So, now if you get the image file:
>
> 	apt-get install squeak-image3.9 squeak-plugin-image
>
>   and if you install the packages you have just built:
>
> 	dpkg -i *.deb
>
>   Then if you go to some convenient directory where you have (want to have) image files, you
>   can start Squeak as follows:
>
> 	squeak

I don't understand what you are after? A amd64 vm is in the upstream of
ubuntu (and debian I think).

squeak-vm:
  Installed: 1:3.9.8-3ubuntu1
  Candidate: 1:3.9.8-3ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 1:3.9.8-3ubuntu1 0
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages

So, apt-get install squeak squeak-plugin does install the vm, the plugin
and a 3.8 image for the plugin.

> Does this work for you? Is it necessary to switch to special Squeak VM version? Are those
> (architecture independent) packages providing Squeak images usable on amd64?

Why not? The vm reads 32 bit image files and the images are 32 bit.
Do mean anything different from that?

Norbert