[squeak-dev] Re: Install on Debian / Ubuntu binary-amd64

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 26 15:40:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:25:22AM +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> With the debian packages you can have
>
> - a 32 bit vm in a 32 bit debian installation (everything
>   works)
> - a 64 bit vm in a 64 bit debian (you will have trouble
>   to use plugins like FFI. That's the reason I don't use
>   it)

A bit off topic, but I have recently gotten FFI working on 64 bit Linux:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2008-April/001900.html

However the changes are rather extensive and are not yet complete for other
platforms, so I would not expect this to be quickly incorporated into the VM
distributions.

There has been some progress on other plugins as well, summarized here:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-December/001703.html

FilePlugin, SocketPlugin, BalloonEnginePlugin, BitBltSimulation, OSProcessPlugin,
XDisplayControlPlugin and AioPlugin have been 64 bit clean for a long time.

So progress is slowly being made.

Dave