[squeak-dev] How to build squeak VM on amd64?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Apr 28 10:14:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:06:13AM +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I maintain these Debian repositories:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616
>
> There are binary packages for i386 which work fine.
>
> I am trying to build similar binary packages for amd64 architecture. This is motivated by recent
> "Squeak Debian Amd64 package" threat on this list.
> I am having troubles to understand how to do that (I am getting old and stupid, I guess) and seeking
> some help.

There is some general background information in a FAQ here:
  http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html

A list of the VM and plugin patches that I apply when building a 64 bit vm is here:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-December/001703.html

> I am slightly puzzled what kind of image (32-bit or 64-bit) I need since I did not specified it
> --with-src. What is the default?

Don't worry about 64 bit images, that is a different issue entirely (see the FAQ
for explanation).

> If I try 64-bit image downloaded from here:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/Squeak64-3.8g-6548.image.tar.gz

This image unfortunately will not work with current VMs without some extra
hacking, but don't worry about it because what you want is a 64 bit VM that
runs 32 bit images.

Dave