[squeak-dev] How to build squeak VM on amd64?

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Mon Apr 28 15:43:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

José Luis Redrejo napísal:
> The squeak-vm in the official Debian repository
> (http://packages.debian.org/lenny/squeak-vm )  is compiled as a 64 bits
> app in amd64. I had to apply some patches that you can see in the
> debianized sources (directory debian/patches). Those patches fix some of
> the bugs in 64 bits, but not they all. The vm is usable (I'm working
> everyday in amd64) and works almost well, except for 64 bits bugs with
> the SoundPlugin .

Is there some concrete plan when these patches will be merged into mainstream version so that anyone
having amd64 will be able to build usable VM without additional patches? Does it make sense to wait
for that to happen?

(I would like to keep the number of additional patches I must maintain and re-merge to the standard
source-code tree to minimum. I am not really Squeak VM hacker and I do not want to apply something
blindly if I do not understand what it is and whether it is a correct thing.)
--
Matej Kosik (http://altair.sk)