[squeak-dev] Squeak on Linux

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 29 21:50:29 UTC 2008

On 29.04.2008, at 19:13, Flying Dutchman wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm sure I'm missing something but I just can't get Squeak to run on
> Linux.
> I'm following the INSTALL notes so run /bin/sh INSTALL and it keeps on
> telling me that it can't find the binaries/libraries for
> i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld. I get this both on Mandrake Spring 2007
> (running
> Gnome) and Puppy Linux (a very fast very slim Linux) which uses Xorg
> and
> Xversa as windows managers.
> Should I pick up some other binaries/libraries or is there something
> else I
> have to do?

Read the next paragraph on the install notes:

===========
If this complains that it cannot find the architecture-specific files
for your machine, even though you have downloaded and unpacked the
relevant archive, then there might simply be a difference in operating
system versions.  If you believe that the architecture-specific files
in the directory "foo-bar-baz" will work for you, then you can specify
that directory as an argument to INSTALL:

$ su root
# cd Squeak-X.Y
# /bin/sh INSTALL foo-bar-baz
# exit $

So "/bin/sh INSTALL i686-pc-linux-gnu" should work ...

- Bert -