[squeak-dev] building Hydra

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 02:33:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:20:33PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>>
>> The intent was to get polling out of the VM and make it more
>> event driven. Maybe what that means here is that scheduling a
>> timer interrupt is now not part of
>> ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds anymore. I'm not familiar
>> with the old way the VM works; I've only seen the hydra way
>>
>> -- Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
>
> Ah, ok, well I sent Igor a copy of my current work on the hydra semaphore
> mutex calls. If you
> have a InterlockedCompareExchange, and a ioWakeUp() routine that you can
> share that would be helpful.

I'm working on ioWakeUp() right now. Currently, I'm thinking
posting a dummy event to the X input stream may be best for the
X11 vm, specifically the NoExpose event

The windows VM seems to take a similar approach, from what I can
guess about what SetEvent() is

Are you working on a mac port of hydra? I'm working on a linux
port, but I havn't yet posted my code anywhere. I implemented
the mutex stuff via pthreads; hopefully correctly.