[squeak-dev] Re: Yes, it works - and fast too! (was [Q] File Upload/Download Server, Comanche or Swazoo)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Aug 2 11:06:45 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Göran's work encouraged me to run benchmarks more carefully and
repeatably to minimize impact of OS file system performance and as you
can see, Kom and Swazoo are actually close in upload performance, about
5-6MB/s.

Big apology to Squeak community for that original 1.5MB/s figure, which
obviously came out from only one test, instead of repeatable to avoid
other impacts. In new tests I  didn't change Swazoo code, I just made an
additional upload demo on Aida.

Here are results in seconds of repeatable test for two files, 572MB and
102MB ones:

572MB file (600.037.00 bytes)

   Squeak:
     Kom/Seaside   92  98 117 (avg 5.9MB/s)
     Swazoo/Aida  108 111 107 (avg 5.6MB/s)
   VW:
     Swazoo/Aida   67  68  66 (avg 9MB/s)

102MB file (106.491.000 bytes)

   Squeak:
     Kom/Seaside   18  35  25  32 (avg 3.9MB/s)
     Swazoo/Aida   16  16  17  16 (avg 6.6MB/s)
   VW:
     Swazoo/Aida    5   5   6   5 (avg 20MB/s)

As you can see for larger files we are very close while for smaller file
Swazoo is still faster. Also you can see that Kom results vary a lot
while Swazoo ones are stable. It seems that this is due to bigger amount
of garbage generation by Kom (this can also be seen from memory
consumption variations) while Swazoo garbage is minimal.

In any case we can conclude with quite certainty that on Squeak we
reached the upload speed limit near 6MB/sec. To be faster we will need
to optimize TCP socket and file VM modules.

Tests were done on Damien's squeak-dev 3.9 with both Aida and Seaside
installed, with Swazoo 2.2beta and Göran's Kom patch. Done on openSuse
10.0 64bit on 3.2GHz PC, bogomips: 6400.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek